Thursday 30 April 2015

Tombim Abuja ITF Futures: Atseye, Enosoregbe out, Moses in


Nigeria’s top players, Henry Atseye and Clifford Enosoregbe, on Wednesday, crashed out of the on-going Tombim Abuja ITF Futures, but youngster Michael Moses progressed to the quarterfinals of the singles event. Enosoregbe lost to Deiton Baughman 6-2, 6-4 in one of
the second round matches while Atseye succumbed to 6-3, 6-1 defeat at the hands of Evan Song.
Another Nigerian, Christian Paul, was defeated by Nedunchezhiyan Jeevan 6-2, 6-4 while Albert Bikom was outplayed by Crowley Keith- Patrick 7-6 (1), 6-1.
Thomas Otu fought hard against number two seed, Tucker Vorster, but lost 6-4, 7-6 (5). However, Moses rallied to defeat number eight seed, Alcaraz Cortes, 6-7(5), 7-5, 6-2, to the delight of the home fans.
The 2014 abridged Governor’s Cup winner will now come up against number four seed, Matija Pecotic, in one of the quarterfinal games to be decided on Thursday. Moses, speaking to journalists after the game, said: “I just kept up with the game, I did not think of losing since he could win the first set, I was certain of overcoming him in the second set and I did just that. “I hope I can continue with this pace and get to the semis.
This is the least target I have set for myself in this competition. I was not happy when I heard that my friends had lost out in their matches. That made me fight more in order to come out tops in the game.
I am really happy to have won.” He added: “There is an injury to my right wrist and it affected me when I was playing. I could not hit balls that came to my backhand properly but I still managed to win. I truly thank God for this victory.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chi Adz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Women in sports

TOP STORIES